Wednesday, January 21, 2009

B-10

(Updated on 5/10 to add:Please swap the cutting instructions for background and main fabric below. I accidentally made my block using opposite fabrics.)

I will not be giving too much instruction on this block. I foundation pieced the little center square and rotary cut the rest. If I had to make it again I think I will just foundation piece the whole thing.
Now that I'm using the freezer paper foundation piecing method. I feel that everything's a piece of cake.

Here's what I did.

Trace the little center square onto your foundation paper, or print the block and cut out the center square.
Number the sections. This is the numbering I used. Because of the intersecting seams you will have to make several pieces and then sew them together.

Cut apart the sections. As you can see, they don't have seam allowances so don't forget to leave enough fabric around the edges for that when you do the piecing.

Foundation piece every section separately and trim, adding a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around. Sew them together (top, middle, bottom, and then the four edge triangles). REMEMBER THE SEAM ALLOWANCES.

Trim off the little fabric flaps. Your little square should measure 2 ¼"
As I mentioned before, I rotary cut the rest.
Out of your main fabric, cut four 1 3/8" squares.
Out of your background fabric, cut four 1 3/8" x 2 ¼" rectangles.
Attach a rectangle to two opposite sides of the foundation pieced square.
Out of the squares and other two rectangles, make two units: square, rectangle, square.
Attach to the top and bottom of your main piece.

Out of background fabric, cut a strip of fabric 1" wide.
Attach this to your unit in a log cabin fashion, that is, one side at a time, going around the block, trimming it to size after each attachment.
If you prefer to cut the lengths beforehand, they will be 4", 4 ½", 4 ½", and 5" long.

Our 20th block! Woohoo!

5/10: The "new" block

No comments:

Post a Comment