Wednesday, January 21, 2009

BR-6

This one really tested my ability to transform a diagram into a foundation pattern. Wow!

I was not going to piece this by machine (I think it'll probably be easier by had), so I scoured to web to see if I could figure out how to make the block. I also checked out the Dear Jane site. The conclusion was that most people modify the block slightly to allow it to be foundation pieced.

My block does, therefore, not look exactly like Jane's but I'm OK with that.

Reminder: If you're using the software, remember to change to block size to 5"x8" before printing!

Here's how I modified the original diagram. I extended the line formed by the two topmost side triangles all the way across to the end of the block. This cuts a little bit off the "sideways" triangles in the top section. I also drew a line on the left side of the top section parallel to the edge of the block.

Here's my numbering. This should explain it better. The sections we're going to piece it in are shown in different colors.

Trace or print the block diagram onto your foundation paper, number as above, and cut into sections as shown by the colored segments above.
Foundation piece each section, following the numbering. Trim the seams to exactly ¼".

Attach the sections to each other, being careful to match up seam lines accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment