Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chunky Assembly

Can you tell I'm really inspired to finish this?

I've had a couple of questions about my assembly method, so I thought I'd explain how I'm doing it.

The first way that came to mind was, of course, to sew the blocks into rows and then sew the rows together.
I did not relish the thought of having to sew 13 very long rows together, so I devised the "chunky" plan.
I'm sewing the blocks together in sections of 4 or 5 wide by 3 or 4 high.
I then assemble these sections into a wider "row".
In the end I will have only 3 long seams to sew. Woohoo!
Assembly
The "chunk" on the left consists of blocks H-1 to J-5.
The chunk on the right will be H-6 to J9, which I will then attach to the first one.
The last chunk for this section will be H-10 to J-13.
So, when I'm done with this "row", it will have H-1 (at the top left) to J-13(at the bottom right) and I can sew this to the 13-block-wide section above it.  You can see that in yesterday's post.

Does that make any sense?

6 comments:

  1. I agree! That is the best and least stressful way to sew together a big quilt. Good luck on finishing it. I am rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy chunks! I too am doing the chunk-method for my blocks. Just the thought of those looong seams is freaking me out a little-- so I'm happy to have shorter ones for awhile (though I'm down to my last two chunks, so pretty soon I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put them all together!). :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love assembling quilts this way--sewing long rows together scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is how I put all quilts together. I love how square the quilts are done this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Qu'elle est la largeur des bandes.Je suis moi aussi entrain de réaliser cet ouvrage. merci de partager votre experience

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea! Wish I'd thought of it myself!

    ReplyDelete